Southern Sport Horses is owned and operated by Anthony Thomas a well known, and highly respected show jumper and eventer.
We pride ourselves on making available a selection of suitable sport horses which will fill the criteria set by the client. This includes age, height, colour, temperament, performance, requirements and price. In our assessment for selection we also make a professional appraisal on what level they are capable of reaching.
We have been involved in the sale of many South Australian Sport Horses to the international market as well as nationally and locally.
Anthony was born in Maitland, the heart of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia in March 1975. He grew up on his family's farm east of the township of Maitland, where he still is based.
The Family Farm is jointly owned with his Father Dean and Sister Cindy. Together they operate the property where they produce prime paddock reared beef, premium malting barley and hard wheat for the bread market.
Anthony started his riding career as a young boy of the age of four where he enjoyed riding ponies. From this stage he ventured onto bigger ponies and finally onto his junior showjumpers where his showjumping career really begun. In the junior ranks he was leading junior rider for South Australia from 1990 – 1993 as well as winning the state title in 1992. He also competed successfully at the local Adelaide Royal Show against Australia's top competitors where he won leading Junior Rider 1992 and 1993.
Since entering the senior ranks Anthony has trained with ex-Australian Olympic Coach, Rod Brown in 1995. He has since trained with major coaches such as Albert Voorn (Holland), Alexa Bell (Canada) and Jamie Coman.
The highlight of Anthony's career has been representing Australia in the Australian Showjumping Team at the Harare International Horse Show in Zimbabwe in 1996. The Australian team won the gold medal. Since this time Anthony has been long listed for the 2000 Sydney Olympics on his horse "Fluke" which he sadly lost to severe colic in January of 2000. Anthony also represented Australia at the 2003 World Cup Final in Las Vegas (USA) riding Classic Style.
- First South Australian to win a World Cup Qualifier.
- Youngest rider in the world to compete in 100 World Cup Qualifiers.
- Won 9 World Cup Qualifiers on 8 different horses.
- 40 top 5 World Cup placings.
- Represented Australia at World Cup Final Las Vegas 2003.
- Represented Australia in New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, USA, Canada.
- Leading SA rider of the year 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008. ( 8 times)
- Leading SA Horse Of The Year 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008. (11 times)
- Won SA Champ 2003, 2005, 2007.
- Won SA Indoor Champ 1998, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- Won SA Country Champ 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Won SA Speed Champ 2002, 2003, 2004.
- Leading Rider Perth Royal 2009.
- Leading Horse Perth Royal 2009. (Kinnordy Goerlitz)
- Leading Rider Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra Royals on numerous occasions.
- Won Grand Prix Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth Royal Shows.
Along with these performances, Anthony has been listed on Australian Showjumping squads on numerous occasions.
Anthony has represented Australia, won many championships and been recognised throughout his career for his riding skills.